I am slowly getting into the Christmas spirit this year. Watching Nigel Slater on the TV last night, who has to be my favourite TV chef for his calmness and sheer gorgeousness of what he cooks, I suddenly knew I had to make some Christmas spice biscuits!
So I trundled off to Sainsbury's this morning which wasn't half as busy as I thought it would be (just wait for next weekend!) to buy the ingredients and cookie cutters I needed. I had to make do with hearts as the snowflake cutters were all gone.
I used Nigel Slater's recipe (see below) and ended up with three baking sheets of biscuits in different heart sizes.
I decorated them with cinnamon icing in a ....let's call it "abstract" fashion with artistic industrial size blobs for added interest....... more is definitely more where I come from :D
They taste delicious (I've eaten three so far) and make your house smell beautiful!
80g light muscovado sugar
2 tbsp treacle
250g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger (I put in two)
1 egg yolk
3 - 4 tsp milk
1. Cream butter and sugar
2. Beat in treacle and egg yolk
3. Add flour, spices and baking powder which have been sifted and mixed thoroughly beforehand
4. Add milk until dough resembles pastry and knead gently
5. Roll out thinly, cut out shapes and spread out on baking sheets
6. Cook at Gas Mark 4/350F/180C for approx 12 - 14 mins
7. Cool and decorate with water icing