Skip to main content

My Jewellery Shed Gets A Lick Of Paint


At the end of last summer, after an incredibly busy few months jewellery-wise, I decided to take a break and repaint my shed. I'd painted it a pale green colour when I first got it and it was starting to look a bit faded and sad. So I did what I expect most people do and started looking online at what wonderful colour I could repaint it. There are lots of great colours out there by Cuprinol and Ronseal and the DIY stores own brands.

I took a long time deciding on a colour then got in the car to go and buy the paint. That's when I discovered that B&Q and Homebase only carry a limited selection of shed paint colours {8 if you're lucky} and if you then find something in stock you do like they quite often don't have it in the size pot you need! So the colour I bought was a bit of "Oh buggar it, that'll have to do". Luckily it turned out to be similar to what I'd originally wanted by the time I'd finished the third coat - yes it took three coats before it stopped looking patchy.

It was quite a lot of work as the shed needed sanding before I could start painting with the new colour. My Dad helped a bit with the sanding then I did the rest of it myself. The sanding and wiping down with white spirit took a day and the painting - all three coats of it - took another day. It's not made very clear in the instructions on the tin but you have to do all the coats within a 6-8 hour period otherwise the paint starts to develop it's waterproof qualities and any paint put on top after that time will just sit on the surface and can peel off at a later date.

As you can see in the photo the shed is right up against the walls in the corner of the backyard so the back and side took a bit of climbing, bending and stretching to reach as much of it as I could. I also managed to startle one of my neighbours who wasn't expecting to see me perched on the side wall first thing in the morning brush in hand. I was so relieved when I finally finished the painting! I then decided to give myself more work and paint the lock, hinges and hook for the hanging basket in black which involved using teeny tiny brushes and trying not to swear too much when I got black paint on the lovely green I'd just put on the shed.

 It was worth all the hard work though as it does look much better now. If only I could transport it to a beautiful meadow and gaze out of the window at a trickling stream.......... I'd better start blowing up the balloons :)

Comments

  1. I love the color Tracy! So inviting. It is worth all the time consuming prep work to get the job done right. The paint will now last years. I would love to be able to work in the middle of a meadow too. Dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really smart and clean. It's interesting that you have to paint it all in such a short time frame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking studio! Glad to see you are blogging again. I love your creativity and writing style and humor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh now I want to see inside!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are very welcome!
If you would prefer to contact me directly please use the contact form on my "get in touch" page.

Popular posts from this blog

Combining Soldering And Enamel

The need to make cute, brightly coloured enamel studs propelled me into the world of combining soldering with enamel a couple of years ago. I knew from reading up on it that it was possible to enamel and solder on the same piece but wasn't too confident I was able to do it back then. It was a slightly embarrassing occurance that made me just get on with - I'd made some enamel studs with glued on stud posts. I'd used 2 part epoxy resin which was a job in itself as it set hard after 5 minutes so I had to keep mixing more up. The finished studs looked ok but that little voice in my head kept asking "are you sure you want to use glue?" I wasn't but didn't think I had any other way to do it so I used glue. I sold my first pair and merrily sent them on their way to Canada. A couple of week later the buyer got in touch to say the stud post had come off one of the earrings and the other was hanging off. I was mortified, apologized profusely and refunded her m

Etching Silver Using Nail Art Stamps

So my love/hate relationship with etching sterling silver continues. I've tried a few times now and always end up with different results most of them not that great to be honest. I've tried connecting the silver and a piece of copper to a 9v battery and also heating the ferric nitrate. Sometimes the results are good sometimes not so good. I currently have an etched piece of silver sheet waiting to be reticulated and rid it of the mess that is the etched "pattern".  I now know that using stamps and Stayz On ink just doesn't work with silver - the time needed to etch using ferric nitrate is much longer than etching copper and the ink starts to wear away after about an hour. This results in the pattern being patchy as the resist is eaten away and the silver ends up quite lumpy and course looking. I have yet to try using pnp paper. I don't know why but it all seems a bit of a faff to do. I don't have a laser printer so would need to find somewhere or

Embossing Metal With My Sizzix Bigshot

I must admit up until a few weeks ago I was vaguely familiar with the name Sizzix but as to what you actually did with a "Sizzix" I was completely in the dark! That was until I stumbled across a video from Vintaj showing how you could use their embossing folders with a Bigshot to create designs on metal ("metal" - my favourite word after chocolate!) I was really impressed and itching to have a go, I just needed a Bigshot........ I waited a few weeks then when the urge to possess one overcame me I went out debit card at the ready..............and the shop had sold out! So I trundled off to The Range on the off chance and came home clutching my own surprisingly heavy pink and black wonder machine. It sat on the dining room table for a couple of days while I waited for the embossing folders I'd ordered online to arrive then the time came to start playing! I started with some pre-cut 24g copper hearts and the Wildflower Vines and the Butterfly Swirls Deco