Skip to main content

Rolling Mill Textures On Metal


I had another play with my rolling mill last week using some of the texture sheets from Etsy shop Rolling Mill Resource. I used some sterling silver and copper sheet and soon discovered it's best to get organized before you start!


I cut the sheet to size and worked out which design was going on which piece of metal. I also tried a feather but more on that later. Most of the sheet I used was 20g/0.8mm with one piece of 18g/1.0mm and one of 22g/0.6mm.

I've read that you should do a dead pass of the metal through the rolling mill with the gap the same size as the metal and texturing item. I'm not sure what this is supposed to achieve but I don't bother doing it. Judging the correct size of gap between the rollers is a trial and error thing that you discover by setting the gap then starting to roll the metal through. If there's too much resistance you make the gap bigger until there's just enough resistance to roll the metal through without giving yourself a hernia.

Here's some photos I took of the textured metal before pickling.


A leaf skeleton using silver and copper to sandwich the leaf. This gives you two textured pieces for the price of one. The texture shows up better on the copper due to the lighter colour but the design on the silver was just as crisp.


 The spiral design was a freebie (thank you!) I do love spirals but didn't buy that design for precisely that (predictable) reason!


 I love these two designs, they came out well and I think the one on the right on silver is the nicest one yet.


This is a nice circle and diamond design on 18g silver. It came out very clearly. The other design on 22g was fainter which may be due to the thinner metal or maybe it's just that particular design.



The designs after pickling.
 The piece of copper at the back was done with a feather with not the greatest results. I had the rollers too close and really struggled to get the metal through! A lot of shoulder bracing was involved but I got it through eventually. Once the metal gets so far it becomes hard to turn the rollers either backwards or forwards so you just have to use brute force! Consequently the feather moved so I have two images. It did work but it's very fine and would show up better if the copper was oxidized but I think if I try another feather I'll use a larger one (and not have the rollers too tight!)


The pattern on this piece of copper was a bonus! I used it to sandwich the textured card to print on the silver but ended up with a nice print on the copper too from the back of the textured card. Nice one!

Most of the card patterns can be used twice which is something that surprised me. I expected them all to be flattened after the first use but most of them still had enough depth in the design to use again.
So now I have lots of textured metal to play with I had better get on with making new pieces!

Comments

  1. Bellissimi!!! Ma hai usato una foglia vera??? Meravigliosa!!! Io non ho il laminatoio, secondo te si può provare con la macchina per la pasta da cucina?
    Bellissimo, bellissimo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E 'solo le venature della foglia. Non sono sicuro su come utilizzare una macchina per pasta, si può lavorare su metalli sottili.

      Ho usato un traduttore per questo quindi se è incomprensibile mi scuso!

      Delete
  2. I love your rolled textures! It really sets the imagination off and running. You make me wish for a rolling mill too, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't make my rolling mill do those prints if my life depended on it. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh i want a rolling mill so bad now! Which do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ciao!!!Fai delle cose veramente meravigliose!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I do so want a rolling mill, although I fear it would them involves me buying endless sheets of silver to use in it ;) Wonderful to see the results from your experiments - I've found that even the 'mistakes' are often very beautiful...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These textures are gorgeous - I am excited for you and the world of possibilities you have opened up with these textures. Go Tracy go!
    Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've tried the feather and leaf impressions with no luck. The leaf was fresh and no impression was made. I tried a dry leaf and it just crumbled. As far as the feather, only the middle part was impressed. What gauge metals did you use for your "sandwich"? Also, where did you find the leaf skeleton? Thanks in advance!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Jemima, I've replied to your email message :D

      Delete
    2. Need to use a skeleton leaf. Or even buy a fake skeleton leaf from a craft store. You need to anneal your metal before you go to the rolling mill with it. Especially if you're trying to use a feather.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful Designs! You have provided great rolling Mill textures on Metal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are very welcome!
If you would prefer to contact me directly please use the contact form on my "get in touch" page.

Popular posts from this blog

Combining Soldering And Enamel

The need to make cute, brightly coloured enamel studs propelled me into the world of combining soldering with enamel a couple of years ago. I knew from reading up on it that it was possible to enamel and solder on the same piece but wasn't too confident I was able to do it back then. It was a slightly embarrassing occurance that made me just get on with - I'd made some enamel studs with glued on stud posts. I'd used 2 part epoxy resin which was a job in itself as it set hard after 5 minutes so I had to keep mixing more up. The finished studs looked ok but that little voice in my head kept asking "are you sure you want to use glue?" I wasn't but didn't think I had any other way to do it so I used glue. I sold my first pair and merrily sent them on their way to Canada. A couple of week later the buyer got in touch to say the stud post had come off one of the earrings and the other was hanging off. I was mortified, apologized profusely and refunded her m

Etching Silver Using Nail Art Stamps

So my love/hate relationship with etching sterling silver continues. I've tried a few times now and always end up with different results most of them not that great to be honest. I've tried connecting the silver and a piece of copper to a 9v battery and also heating the ferric nitrate. Sometimes the results are good sometimes not so good. I currently have an etched piece of silver sheet waiting to be reticulated and rid it of the mess that is the etched "pattern".  I now know that using stamps and Stayz On ink just doesn't work with silver - the time needed to etch using ferric nitrate is much longer than etching copper and the ink starts to wear away after about an hour. This results in the pattern being patchy as the resist is eaten away and the silver ends up quite lumpy and course looking. I have yet to try using pnp paper. I don't know why but it all seems a bit of a faff to do. I don't have a laser printer so would need to find somewhere or

Embossing Metal With My Sizzix Bigshot

I must admit up until a few weeks ago I was vaguely familiar with the name Sizzix but as to what you actually did with a "Sizzix" I was completely in the dark! That was until I stumbled across a video from Vintaj showing how you could use their embossing folders with a Bigshot to create designs on metal ("metal" - my favourite word after chocolate!) I was really impressed and itching to have a go, I just needed a Bigshot........ I waited a few weeks then when the urge to possess one overcame me I went out debit card at the ready..............and the shop had sold out! So I trundled off to The Range on the off chance and came home clutching my own surprisingly heavy pink and black wonder machine. It sat on the dining room table for a couple of days while I waited for the embossing folders I'd ordered online to arrive then the time came to start playing! I started with some pre-cut 24g copper hearts and the Wildflower Vines and the Butterfly Swirls Deco