It's funny how stumbling across something as you wander around the internet sets you off on a new project. I was looking for storage for my bedroom and found a website called Ikea Hackers where people have altered items bought from Ikea. There was a post on how someone had pimped their Ikea Moppe mini drawers to resemble those library card storage drawers that are so expensive to buy now. I found the blog post by Kristine of The Painted Hive which explains how she did it and I was inspired to have a go myself!
First I had to buy the drawers. There isn't an Ikea near Eastbourne, well there are stores at Lakeside and Croydon but they're a bit far unless you want to make a day of it. Blessed will be the day they open an Ikea in Brighton! I'm afraid I am an Ikea virgin and have yet to set foot in a store with all their things of loveliness I can only drool over from afar. So I bought the drawers on Amazon instead.......
I sanded the unit to smooth the untreated pine and to round the corners slightly before wiping with a damp cloth to remove the dust. I did this outside on a freezing day and could only just feel my hands by the time I'd finished! After I'd warmed up I decorated the front of the drawers with a stamped design.
I used some of the stamps I use for etching copper with Stayz On ink and stamped the "back" of the drawers as I was going to add knobs to them and didn't want the finger holes visible. I then stained the pine with a dark oak coloured wood dye. I gave it two coats, leaving it to dry for an hour between coats.
I then applied two coats of Danish Oil which soaks into the wood and gives it a soft shine. I was really pleased with the colour and the way it brings out the grain.
Then it was time for knobs! I had planned on antique brass knobs but doing a search I discovered the wonderful world of ceramic knobs! Ooh, they are lovely! Especially the hand painted Indian style which made it very hard to choose. I was going to stick to smallish one's as the drawers are small but went for 4cm knobs in the end (there's more choice in the bigger sizes). I choose some orange and cream painted knobs from eBay.......eventually.
After drilling holes for the knobs and using my round jewellery needle file to make them bigger (didn't have a big enough drill bit!) the knobs were fitted. Ta da! An uninspired plain pine box transformed!
I really enjoyed the whole project as it was nice to do something different and not jewellery related. Now I want to do some more!