Skip to main content

Titanium Soldering Clamp Strips


So having ordered five of the Knew Concepts titanium strips
about a year ago {!} I thought it was time I actually did something with them. I've heard great things about how useful they are as soldering aids so why it's taken me so long to get round to it who knows.
I think I was worried they would be hard work to bend, saw and shape being titanium and to some extent they are but not beyond most peoples' ability.

Warning! This post contains lots of photos. And the tri-colour ink on my printer was running out which is why the print out looks as though it's had a sepia filter added to it :D
My camera also developed the white screen of death half way through {and is currently away being repaired} so I had to change to my tablet to carry on with the photographing.

I decided to start with the easiest looking "clamp". This one........


I marked two points on the strip where I was going to bend it and using an old pair of flat nose pliers I made my bends.



I didn't bend the strip very acurately and certainly not as neatly as the strip in the instructions but you can manipulate the strip to get the ends level it so all is not lost.

Next I bent the end up on one side...


...and started to push the two ends closer together.


In order to get the to ends closer together you need to do that thing you do with the ends of a jump ring to get the join nice and tight.


And eventually you end up with something that looks similar to the photo.


There's a nice amount of spring in the titanium but it's also fairly easy to open and close the gap.

The next clamp I wanted to make was this one. It looked very useful.


I started by marking {quite badly} where I was going to saw off part of the end on one side.


I did it freehand despite having a ruler right next to me on the bench :D


I started sawing the strip using a blade for steel and platinum which was a bit hard-going. I then changed to a 0 size blade which was slightly easier. 


I tidied up the end then bent the strip in half.


I then bent the thin end downwards and did a bit a manipulating to get eveything level and straight.


Not exactly like the one in the photo, mine's a bit chunkier, but it's still going to be very useful.


The next design looked like the one I would find the most helpful to have. 



I marked the shape I wanted to cut off each end of the strip - more of a curve this time.

I tried a file and sanding stick to tidy the ends this time which worked really well. I bent the ends out and then started to push each side to get them closer together. I found this really hard work and annealed the titanium to see if that would help. The titanium heated up and became bright orange really quickly although it didn't feel that much softer after it had been annealed.

It was still quite a struggle to get the ends together and again needed a bit of manipulating to get everything even and flat but I got there in the end.

I didn't manage the square bends which made me wonder if it would work properly or just fall over but when I set it up as I would be using it for holding a stud post in place for soldering it worked fabulously!


This one is going to be so helpful to me as I currently use a third hand for holding posts in position for soldering as my hand isn't steady enough, and I find the third hand moves too easily and sometimes slips causing me to swear quite a lot a times. I'll definitely make another one of this style so I can set up two at once when I'm on a stud making mission :D

I have two of the strips left and one more shape to try. I think using a heftier pair of pliers {and definitely not your best jewellery pliers!} might help to get the bends a bit neater next time. 

Overall I'm looking forward to using the clamps I've made for when I'm soldering and think James Miller had a very good idea that has made certain soldering tasks an awful lot easier.




Comments

  1. Wow, it is so cool to see your make your own tools and soldering accessories. It does sound like a lot of work - esp bringing the metal together but I guess it is better that wasting time during soldering. I would love to see your final soldering set up with these clamps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Tracy! These will certainly come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Very informative post. Do you use your files on these? I'd think it would dull them quiet a bit and work hardens quickly. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience. Here is an article about titanium. Not sure you follow Ganoskin or not but it is full of information. https://www.ganoksin.com/article/understanding-the-working-titanium/
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link Kalaya. I did use my diamond file on the titanium strip but I can't say I've noticed it's dulled it so maybe I was lucky :D
      I've quite often found very useful stuff on Ganoskin.

      Delete
  4. On my shoppinglist. Since a couple of months.... Thanks for tips how to bend them! Maybe a little help from a hammer and vice will help to form the angles? (In my first attempt to saw titanium i hade the sawblade upside down.... Many years ago! 😄)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think using a vice and hammer would work better for bending the titanium strips than brute force.
      Having a saw blade upside down is the daft sort of thing I would do :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are very welcome!
If you would prefer to contact me directly please use the contact form on my "get in touch" page.

Popular posts from this blog

Combining Soldering And Enamel

The need to make cute, brightly coloured enamel studs propelled me into the world of combining soldering with enamel a couple of years ago. I knew from reading up on it that it was possible to enamel and solder on the same piece but wasn't too confident I was able to do it back then. It was a slightly embarrassing occurance that made me just get on with - I'd made some enamel studs with glued on stud posts. I'd used 2 part epoxy resin which was a job in itself as it set hard after 5 minutes so I had to keep mixing more up. The finished studs looked ok but that little voice in my head kept asking "are you sure you want to use glue?" I wasn't but didn't think I had any other way to do it so I used glue. I sold my first pair and merrily sent them on their way to Canada. A couple of week later the buyer got in touch to say the stud post had come off one of the earrings and the other was hanging off. I was mortified, apologized profusely and refunded her m

Etching Silver Using Nail Art Stamps

So my love/hate relationship with etching sterling silver continues. I've tried a few times now and always end up with different results most of them not that great to be honest. I've tried connecting the silver and a piece of copper to a 9v battery and also heating the ferric nitrate. Sometimes the results are good sometimes not so good. I currently have an etched piece of silver sheet waiting to be reticulated and rid it of the mess that is the etched "pattern".  I now know that using stamps and Stayz On ink just doesn't work with silver - the time needed to etch using ferric nitrate is much longer than etching copper and the ink starts to wear away after about an hour. This results in the pattern being patchy as the resist is eaten away and the silver ends up quite lumpy and course looking. I have yet to try using pnp paper. I don't know why but it all seems a bit of a faff to do. I don't have a laser printer so would need to find somewhere or

Embossing Metal With My Sizzix Bigshot

I must admit up until a few weeks ago I was vaguely familiar with the name Sizzix but as to what you actually did with a "Sizzix" I was completely in the dark! That was until I stumbled across a video from Vintaj showing how you could use their embossing folders with a Bigshot to create designs on metal ("metal" - my favourite word after chocolate!) I was really impressed and itching to have a go, I just needed a Bigshot........ I waited a few weeks then when the urge to possess one overcame me I went out debit card at the ready..............and the shop had sold out! So I trundled off to The Range on the off chance and came home clutching my own surprisingly heavy pink and black wonder machine. It sat on the dining room table for a couple of days while I waited for the embossing folders I'd ordered online to arrive then the time came to start playing! I started with some pre-cut 24g copper hearts and the Wildflower Vines and the Butterfly Swirls Deco