Skip to main content

New: Earrings and Bangles


Despite the fact that I haven't felt as busy with orders this year as I was last year, I've still struggled with finding the time to make new stuff recently. However I have managed to make a few new things - some silver earrings with cabochons and a couple of new bronze bangle designs.

One of the reasons I've made some new designs in bronze bangles is because I can't get hold of the 3.5mm bronze wire I use for my most popular bronze set. The website I buy some of my bronze wire from has been out of stock for a couple of months now, citing technical problems with production according to their supplier. There's also a shortage of 4mm bronze wire {luckily I have some of that stashed away in my shed!}

The other reason is.....well, you can never have too much choice when it comes to jewellery :D

bronze bangles with leaf vein texture

The first set of bangles is made from 5mm and 3mm bronze wire flattened and textured using leaf skeletons. There's something about flat bangles that pleases me - maybe it's the straight edges? Whatever it is I do enjoy making them.

hammered bronze bangle set cinnamon jewellery

The other bronze bangle set is made with 3mm wire textured using a line texture hammer. I turn the wire as I'm hammering to keep the round profile.

I've made both sets before so they aren't strictly new but previously I would list them as and when I made a set but this time I've decided to add these two sets to my "made to order" selection of bangles.

sterling silver earrings with citrine cabochon

A while ago I vowed to start using up some of my cabochons. Admittedly I haven't bought any cabs for a long time but do still have several boxes full of them.

I made a start with these simple silver disc earrings with rose cut citrine cabs. I always put silver foil inside the bezel behind the cab when I set it to cover the silver underneath and avoid any dark spots showing through if the silver tarnishes.


The foil also helps to make the colour of the cabs brighter as it reflects the light.

sterling silver earrings with green amethyst cabochon cinnamon jewellery

These long oval silver earrings are textured with a stripe pattern made using masking tape. They are set with green amethyst rose cut cabs. The cabs look as though they are clear but they are really a very pale green which is more noticeable in certain lights.


I do love pale gemstone colours with oxidized silver - the contrast in dark and light is lovely.

I'm currently experimenting with new bangle designs involving combining different gauges of twisted wire which I will post about as soon as I've worked out the best way to solder the ends together!


Comments

  1. Putting the silver foil in while setting stones is a great idea as it would make the stones look bright and shiny. I love the new round wire bangles for they seem to have a reptilian look to them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful new designs Tracy! I always love seeing your cool work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I'll try to get some inspiration now. No plaster anymore, but very weak in my arm (training, training...). The first I'll do is testing my new enamels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I'm glad to hear your arm is getting better, playing with enamels is bound to make you feel better :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are very welcome!
If you would prefer to contact me directly please use the contact form on my "get in touch" page.

Popular posts from this blog

Combining Soldering And Enamel

The need to make cute, brightly coloured enamel studs propelled me into the world of combining soldering with enamel a couple of years ago. I knew from reading up on it that it was possible to enamel and solder on the same piece but wasn't too confident I was able to do it back then. It was a slightly embarrassing occurance that made me just get on with - I'd made some enamel studs with glued on stud posts. I'd used 2 part epoxy resin which was a job in itself as it set hard after 5 minutes so I had to keep mixing more up. The finished studs looked ok but that little voice in my head kept asking "are you sure you want to use glue?" I wasn't but didn't think I had any other way to do it so I used glue. I sold my first pair and merrily sent them on their way to Canada. A couple of week later the buyer got in touch to say the stud post had come off one of the earrings and the other was hanging off. I was mortified, apologized profusely and refunded her m

Etching Silver Using Nail Art Stamps

So my love/hate relationship with etching sterling silver continues. I've tried a few times now and always end up with different results most of them not that great to be honest. I've tried connecting the silver and a piece of copper to a 9v battery and also heating the ferric nitrate. Sometimes the results are good sometimes not so good. I currently have an etched piece of silver sheet waiting to be reticulated and rid it of the mess that is the etched "pattern".  I now know that using stamps and Stayz On ink just doesn't work with silver - the time needed to etch using ferric nitrate is much longer than etching copper and the ink starts to wear away after about an hour. This results in the pattern being patchy as the resist is eaten away and the silver ends up quite lumpy and course looking. I have yet to try using pnp paper. I don't know why but it all seems a bit of a faff to do. I don't have a laser printer so would need to find somewhere or

Embossing Metal With My Sizzix Bigshot

I must admit up until a few weeks ago I was vaguely familiar with the name Sizzix but as to what you actually did with a "Sizzix" I was completely in the dark! That was until I stumbled across a video from Vintaj showing how you could use their embossing folders with a Bigshot to create designs on metal ("metal" - my favourite word after chocolate!) I was really impressed and itching to have a go, I just needed a Bigshot........ I waited a few weeks then when the urge to possess one overcame me I went out debit card at the ready..............and the shop had sold out! So I trundled off to The Range on the off chance and came home clutching my own surprisingly heavy pink and black wonder machine. It sat on the dining room table for a couple of days while I waited for the embossing folders I'd ordered online to arrive then the time came to start playing! I started with some pre-cut 24g copper hearts and the Wildflower Vines and the Butterfly Swirls Deco