Skip to main content

My Jewellery Shed - Then And Now

My blog was recently featured on two shed retail website blogs.

The first was Waltons who held a Blog Awards 2017. My blog was entered in the Best Creative/ Shed Worker Blog category and I came second! I got to vote in that category too and did think about voting for myself {!} then decided not to and voted for another great blog about making beautiful stained glass creations. I got a badge to display in my sidebar and three pairs of gardening gloves as a prize which was very nice.

I was also contacted by What Shed? who included my blog in their Creative sheds that are very un-shed like blog feature. The feature covers sheds that are used for a variety of things including various creative pursuits, a recording studio and a home for a huge wargaming collection. An interesting read as it's amazing what goes on inside those wooden things at the bottom of people's gardens.

All this shed stuff made me want to see how much my shed has changed since I first moved into it three years ago. I wrote a post on 24 April 2014 called The Jewellery Shed - My New Workplace! and this is the photo I took then.


This is how it looks now.


Much more stuff! More {and ever more!} tools and equipment have appeared as I've progressed in my jewellery making abilities, The rickety fold up desk on the right in the first photo was soon replaced with a sturdier one, I got rid of the awful pull-out plastic draws on the right of the bench, bought bigger shelves for above the bench, added a flexshaft which I wouldn't be without even though it does get in the way sometimes, shoe-horned in as much storage as was physically possible and basically added hooks wherever I could to hang things from. There's also more storage under the bench where the rolling mill is and another set of red Ikea drawers to the right of the shed door. My thicker gauge copper and bronze wires hang from hooks in the wall to the left of the shed door and my hammers and mallets are hanging on a hammer rack I've attached to the end of the desk opposite the red drawers next to my bench.

I soon realized that I would have to sacrifice space for pretty things if I wanted to find a home for my ever-increasing tool and equipment stash. I still have my plants though {in the orange Poole pot and there's also a couple of cactus at the end of the shelves on the left}. The original plant I had in the first photo from 2014 didn't make it through the first winter but the current one which is a succulent did ok this winter. The cupola set on the floor still hasn't been found a home and will probably stay on the floor as it's very heavy. The kiln is kept under the bench when it's not in use and doesn't get in my way so it's staying there.

My friend thinks my shed is like the Tardis and is amazed at how much stuff I've squeezed in there :D I do manage ok in there but would love it to be about twice the size with more benches to put stuff on. I'd also love a magic chair that disappeared the minute I stood up and reappeared when I went to sit down again as I'm always shoving it out of the way when I stand up to do something. If anyone comes up with one of those please let me know :D


Comments

  1. Congratulations on the features! Your shed is very cool. I love seeing how it has evolved with all the tools and equipment you have acquired over the years. A magic disappearing chair would be amazing! :) Great idea adding a succulent plant. They are so much more hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one thing about cupboards or workspaces is the that the more space you have the more things you acquire and it becomes messy twice as fast as a much smaller space. I think that they are michiveous elves waiting to fill up the space as soon as we acquire more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing inside your creative space Tracy. My little room is also getting rather full. I don't have a magic chair :oD but switched my traditional one out for a "Cosmetic Work Stool" I think they call it. It's on casters and low enough to shove under the table when I need room to work the rolling mill or twist wire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice space! And I thought mine was a tight squeeze. I keep tripping over things but one thing I know for sure. The more space you have the more stuff you will have. I need to clean my space up in a really bad way but that's how I procrastinate! LOL!!! Congratulations on the write up girl! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kalaya. Yes more space means more stuff. But I like more stuff :D

      Delete
  5. I love seeing into other people's workspaces! This one is like a spot the difference :) Well done on the features!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How inspiring your achievement in just 3 years is. As my jewellery making journey starts people like you are wonderful role models. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to create a space like this!! I simply love it! It's just so perfect. You are such a role model to us!

    www.berkleysboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so neat to get a look inside the home of Cinnamon Jewellery! I think you've made a great use of the space you have, and it looks lovely and well organised. I'd never imagine that you worked inside a shed - guess that's my pre-conceived notion that jewellery-making is done in a house!

    Refugia Stein @ Container Domes

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great work space! I enjoyed seeing how it's evolved. I too have been aquiring more and more tools. I spent the first twenty years of my career in human services and always secretly wanted to learn to metalsmith (I was a beader and did a few shows). I had never used tools beyond a hammer and a screwdriver. Now I'm addicted to buying them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's really easy to keep finding the perfect tool you just have to have! Although for all the new and different hammers I have I'm still using the first chasing hammer I ever bought.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are very welcome!
If you would prefer to contact me directly please use the contact form on my "get in touch" page.

Popular posts from this blog

Combining Soldering And Enamel

The need to make cute, brightly coloured enamel studs propelled me into the world of combining soldering with enamel a couple of years ago. I knew from reading up on it that it was possible to enamel and solder on the same piece but wasn't too confident I was able to do it back then. It was a slightly embarrassing occurance that made me just get on with - I'd made some enamel studs with glued on stud posts. I'd used 2 part epoxy resin which was a job in itself as it set hard after 5 minutes so I had to keep mixing more up. The finished studs looked ok but that little voice in my head kept asking "are you sure you want to use glue?" I wasn't but didn't think I had any other way to do it so I used glue. I sold my first pair and merrily sent them on their way to Canada. A couple of week later the buyer got in touch to say the stud post had come off one of the earrings and the other was hanging off. I was mortified, apologized profusely and refunded her m

Etching Silver Using Nail Art Stamps

So my love/hate relationship with etching sterling silver continues. I've tried a few times now and always end up with different results most of them not that great to be honest. I've tried connecting the silver and a piece of copper to a 9v battery and also heating the ferric nitrate. Sometimes the results are good sometimes not so good. I currently have an etched piece of silver sheet waiting to be reticulated and rid it of the mess that is the etched "pattern".  I now know that using stamps and Stayz On ink just doesn't work with silver - the time needed to etch using ferric nitrate is much longer than etching copper and the ink starts to wear away after about an hour. This results in the pattern being patchy as the resist is eaten away and the silver ends up quite lumpy and course looking. I have yet to try using pnp paper. I don't know why but it all seems a bit of a faff to do. I don't have a laser printer so would need to find somewhere or

Embossing Metal With My Sizzix Bigshot

I must admit up until a few weeks ago I was vaguely familiar with the name Sizzix but as to what you actually did with a "Sizzix" I was completely in the dark! That was until I stumbled across a video from Vintaj showing how you could use their embossing folders with a Bigshot to create designs on metal ("metal" - my favourite word after chocolate!) I was really impressed and itching to have a go, I just needed a Bigshot........ I waited a few weeks then when the urge to possess one overcame me I went out debit card at the ready..............and the shop had sold out! So I trundled off to The Range on the off chance and came home clutching my own surprisingly heavy pink and black wonder machine. It sat on the dining room table for a couple of days while I waited for the embossing folders I'd ordered online to arrive then the time came to start playing! I started with some pre-cut 24g copper hearts and the Wildflower Vines and the Butterfly Swirls Deco